West Africa Regional Security Advisor
from Norwegian Church Aid
Closing date: 29 Jul 2019
Norwegian Church Aid ('NCA') is one of the largest aid organisations in the Nordic region. We are there in disasters and emergencies to provide water and critical assistance to those affected. Together with our international network and partner organisations in the ACT Alliance we are able to reach millions of people each year and help make a positive difference around the world. We are determined to work towards eradicating injustice and we therefore work passionately with advocacy, long-term development in local communities and providing emergency assistance. As we see more and more people impacted by disasters, we now have an even stronger focus on providing more people with emergency relief and access to clean water. We believe that people in need must be helped and we will not stop fighting for a just world.
Norwegian Church Aid has 1,000 employees in more than 20 countries, several of which are located in high-risk areas. The security environment for humanitarian organizations is becoming increasingly complex. To strengthen the organization's security efforts, we are now looking for a roving security advisor for our Francophone countries, primarily Mali, DRC and Burundi. Security is highly prioritized in NCA and our work is characterized by high work pressure, a high degree of individual responsibility for own work and a good team spirit. NCA has is revising its security framework and developing new standards and tools. Soon, these will be implemented in NCA’s country offices and the successful candidate will play a key role in this. The roving security adviser will be stationed at our Bamako office with extensive traveling to DRC and Burundi. This position is initially for 6 months with the possibility for an extension. We will conduct interviews starting in August.
Duties and responsibilities
- Implement NCA's Security Risk Management standard, including conducting threat and risk analyses for NCA's operational areas, designing risk mitigation measures and updating national security and contingency plans.
- Advise Country Representatives on security matters.
- Devise and implement key security systems and procedures, ensuring their long-term sustainability.
- Capacity-build country security focal points.
- Coordinate and liaise with other entities and organisations in the sector.
- Train security personnel, staff and partners on personal security, risk and crisis management.
- Contribute to and participate in the organisation's strategy work related to safety, security and programs.
- Oversee the implementation of additional prevention and mitigation measures.
- Conduct security risk assessments and safety audits at each country office and partner organisation.
- Strengthen NCA offices' crisis management capacity.
- Monitor and report on security and safety developments, especially in high-risk countries.
- Master's degree in political science, international relations, regional studies, conflict and development studies, criminology or law enforcement.
- Documented field experience.
- At least five years experience from security related work.
- Able to travel to field locations in countries of responsibility.
- Experience from the development and/or humanitarian aid sector.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Documented experience on providing security training / coaching.
- Excellent French and English skills.
- A first-aid training qualification is a plus.
- Able to work and solve problems independently.
- Good inter-personal, communication and cooperative skills.
- Good team- and capacity building skills.
- Flexible and able to work and stay calm under pressure.
- The person to be employed must be loyal to Norwegian Church Aid's Christian values and accept the Code of Conduct of ACT Alliance.
We can offer
- A key role working with meaningful projects for one of Norway's largest humanitarian organizations.
- Exciting and varied tasks in an international environment.
- Extensive travelling.
- Competitive terms and conditions and a comprehensive pension plan.
HOW TO APPLY:
NCA uses an electronic gateway for all recruitments where you can register and submit your CV, write an application / cover letter and attach relevant certificates. Only applicants using this electronic gateway will be considered for this position
To apply for the position, click here: https://148934216.webcruiter.no/Main2/Recruit/Public/4101708581