The Kigutu International Academy is a secondary boarding school that will develop a new generation of problem-solvers, change-makers and entrepreneurial leaders for Burundi. The Academy is located near the small village of Kigutu on the expansive campus of Village Health Works. About 100 kilometers south of Bujumbura, the Academy is nestled in lush mountains and overlooks beautiful Lake Tanganyika.
KIA will offer a transformative education for young Burundians. Highlights of the Academy include: a curriculum focused on building critical 21st century skills such as team-work, communication and critical thinking; project-based and experiential learning using Village Health Works as the classroom; hands-on experience operating small enterprises, particularly in agriculture; instruction in English, with exposure to French and Swahili; and a focus on science, technology and math.
The Academy will open its doors in October 2020 to young people from across Burundi with demonstrated academic and leadership potential. Students will gain the skills and competencies needed to lead in a complex and changing world, as well as solid grounding in traditional subject areas. The Academy’s 4-year program will prepare students to lead locally and compete alongside the best in the world, providing pathways to universities in Africa and the US. Launching with a small pilot class of around 30 students, the Academy aims to grow to around 250 students. KIA’s innovative approach to teaching and learning will serve as a model for Burundi; once established, it will provide innovative teacher training to educators from across Burundi and the region. Please see: https://www.kigutuinternationalacademy.org/
The Kigutu International Academy is an initiative of Village Health Works (VHW), a non-profit organization founded in 2006. VHW works in partnership with the community and uses a holistic model to restore dignity and hope, focusing first on providing primary health care services and then integrating education, sustainable agriculture, and economic development programs. VHW has an extensive campus, with close to 500 employees in Burundi and a small team in the US. VHW delivers its impactful programs in a catchment area of 200,000 people.
VHW is currently completing construction of the Kigutu Hospital, a 150-bed surgical and teaching hospital, which will begin operations in 2021, providing an unprecedented level of healthcare in rural Burundi. For more information, see: https://www.villagehealthworks.org/
The Kigutu International Academy is seeking an outstanding educator to serve as the Lead Teacher for this bold new school. The Lead Teacher is a critical role: he/she will serve as a classroom teacher and will also oversee teaching and learning at KIA, including coaching a group of promising young teachers from around the world. The Lead Teacher will work with the faculty to develop and pilot curriculum and to create and map learning outcomes. He/she will support the small and diverse teaching team to ensure that classroom instruction meets KIA’s high standards and reflects its mission and vision. The Lead Teacher may come from any academic discipline, but will personify a delight in learning, finding joy in developing curriculum and fostering exceptional pedagogy.
- Classroom teaching
- Developing and piloting curriculum
- Supporting the teaching team with coaching and professional development
- Setting and modeling a tone of high expectations and academic excellence
- Shaping the student experience, both in and out of the classroom, in a manner that reflects the school’s mission and values
- Working with the Head of School to build school culture and a sense of community by creating school traditions and rituals
- Collaborating with the Head of School to develop the systems and processes needed for smooth operations
- Acting as an ambassador for KIA with a variety of constituencies, including parents and community members
Profile of Ideal Candidate:
- At least 10 years’ experience as a highly effective educator, with experience in a math/science subject area a plus
- Experience developing curriculum and supporting other educators with coaching
- Teaching experience in a school that prioritizes 21st century skill building (such as teamwork, entrepreneurship and leadership) and instruction that is compassionate and student-centered
- Committed to the KIA mission of building a new generation of ethical leaders
- Flexible and self-motivated, able to wear “multiple hats” and thrive in a start-up environment
- Sense of humor and team player with the ability to inspire and lead others
- Excited to work in a beautiful, rural setting
- Experience with Cambridge IGCSE curriculum a plus
- Native English Speaker
- French language skills a plus
A competitive salary, commensurate with experience
How to Apply
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a CV and a thoughtful cover letter describing your experience and passion toward the Kigutu International Academy’s mission to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Your cover letter should also include where you found this job posting. Please include “KIA Lead Teacher” in the subject line of your email.
Village Health Works considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability. Village Health Works is an equal opportunity employer.